6 litres of juice

 

A week has passed since I started the dandelion wine.  I strained off the flowers and I ended up with 6 litres of juice to make dandelion wine.  I put in two cups of sugar and took a hydrometer reading before I added the yeast.  The specific gravity was really low, only 1.040.  That would have given me an alcohol level of around 5%.  Not very exciting, so I had to add another four cups of sugar to get the reading up to 1.088 which will give me an alcohol level of 12%.   Reading  all the recipes I found the ingredients interesting because they compensated for the qualities of  grape juice.  One recipe added two tea bags for tannic acid which makes wines age well.  Another had lemons which substitute the acid in grapes.  There was even one with a banana in it for smoothness.  Most of the recipes said the wine should sit for at least a year in bottles.  One even said to wait two years before drinking.  Now that I’m older the years seems to fly by.  A year seems like a long time to wait but I’m sure it will be here before I know it.  The Elderflowers are about to bloom.  I thought I would try my hand at Sambuca.  I found a recipe at this site which had some really interesting recipes including one for Vermouth. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp 
 
I’ ve been working in the garden.  I planted some salad greens, spinach and beets.  Day before yesterday I finally set out our tomato plants.  I thought the threat of frost was over.  Well, last night it got down below freezing.  We had a heavy frost this morning and ice on the dogs water dish.  I got up at four thirty this morning.  It is light at that time now and noticed the frost on the cars.  I ran out with a watering can and watered the tomatoes and peppers.  I think I saved them.  I am so thankful that my cat wakes me at sunrise each morning.  If it wasn’t for the cat I would have lost my plants.  My pumpkins are a little frost burnt too, but I think they will make it.
Advertisements