Walnut squares are my all time favorite cookies! Rich and buttery on the bottom and chewy on the top. It doesn’t get much better than this.
- 2 ¼ cup (515 gr.) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (230 gr.) sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (225 gr.) soft butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 4 cups (900 gr.) finely chopped walnuts
- ½ cup (230 gr.) firmly packed light brown sugar (white sugar can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites unbeaten
Sift flour, salt and ½ cup sugar together. Blend in butter, add egg yolks and milk. Pat evenly into pan (15 x 10 x 1 inch). Bake in preheated oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit (180 C.) for 15 minutes. In heavy sauce-pan put remaining granulated sugar, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and egg whites. Cook, stirring , over low heat until sugar dissolve. Increase heat and cook until mixture no longer clings to side of pan. Spread on baked mixture. Return to oven for another 15 minutes. Cool slightly, cut into bars squares 1 x 1 inch.
Yield: Makes about 5 dozen.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes