Repairing the Roof of the Barn

Spring weather is here at last. The snow has melted away, the ground is still too wet to get into the garden so we have decided to continue our renovation project on the old barn. Our present task is repairing the roof. This is a job that my husband and I were not wanting to tackle. We had talked to several roofing contractors who had looked at the project, given us a quote and promised to repair the roof, yet no one has arrived to do the work. This example is typical of our experience with using contractors and builders in the Czech Republic. After four seasons we have decided to do it ourselves. Dangling six meters above the ground on the roof of a barn is not my cup of tea. However, after analyzing the situation for some time we have come up with a way of doing the work on platforms from inside the barn.

Last week-end my husband and I hoisted up long boards to lay across the beams of the roof. I first climbed up into the rafters on an old wooden latter to a hay loft and hung a block and tackle around one of the large beams that stretches across the width of the barn. Then we gathered the boards and stacked them below. At this point the fun started. My husband tied one end of the rope around the end of each board and pulled it up to the top of the roof. I having climbed back up into the loft, grabbed the board the pulled it onto the platform. While my husband secured another board to the rope I lifted the board to another set of beams over my head to build a second platform. In a short time we had our scaffolding in position. The last thing we pulled up was another latter to connect the hay loft to the second platform. My husband joined me in the loft, then we climbed up to the peak of the roof to inspect the damage. We found that beside several tiles missing at the ridge of the roof, there were two wooden beams that had suffer from water damage. The top of each beam was rotten. They would have to be replaced. We decided that a new beam could be attached to the old beam from the cross beam to the peak without removing the whole beam. After the new beam is in position the old beam can be cut off below the damage. We took some measurements climbed down located two suitable beams from the pile of salvaged material we have stored in our barn and prepared the replacement beams. By the time we hauled the beams up to the top of the barn it was getting dark so we stopped for the night.

Now it’s Saturday morning, the sun is shining and promises to be a warm day. I am waiting for my husband to get up and have his coffee so we can pick up where we left off last week-end. I am thrilled to think that we will get this job done and be able to cross it off our list.